THINK TANK ACADEMY
A Summer Camp that will prepare your child for the future…
Summer Session Overview:
Our “Think Tank Academy” will focus on the following:
- Academic preparedness
- Next grade transition
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Creativity and innovation
- Communication and collaboration
- Exposure to colleges and career skills
- Media/information literacy and accessibility
- TRADER$ (financial literacy and stock market simulation program)
Staff members will be hired to implement a rigorous academic enrichment and financial literacy summer program during the summer. The staff will indulge the students in reading and writing curriculum, inquiry and problem based hands-on learning, as well as a fun filled and engaging character building enrichment curriculum. This program is rigorous, and infused with the 21st century components that will help boost test scores. The summer program will consist of specific program elements that will have students engaged in reading/writing (Element 1), TRADER$ (Element 2), and student enrichment (Element 3) for a span of eight weeks.
Daily Practiced Skills:
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Decision Making
Summer Program Elements
Experience a different type of summer camp that will prepare your child for the future.
Element 1: Reading & Writing
This curriculum module will be designed to include rigorous lessons that focus on the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts. It will include a writing program, strategies for effective reading, speaking and listening.
Element 2: TRADER$ “A Stock Market Game”
- Working in self-directed teams, players learn to communicate, collaborate, and compromise.
- They make decisions by using critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Information literacy skills are honed as students evaluate the importance of decision making.
- They gain understanding of the benefits and tradeoffs of different financial instruments and strategies.
- Players integrate lessons in mathematics, social interaction, reading, communication, research, and economics.
- TRADER$ curriculum materials include proven lesson plans that are tailored for different educational and skill levels.
TRADER$ Alignment to Common Core Mathematical Practices
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others
- Model with mathematics
- Use appropriate tools strategically
- Attend to precision
- Look for and make use of structure
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning
Element 3: Student Enrichment
This module will provide positive and engaging activities for students that will contribute to their development as they matriculate through life.
- Demonstrate Independence
- Build Strong Content Knowledge
- Respond to the varying demands of audience, task, purpose, and discipline
- Comprehend as well as critique
- Value evidence
- Use Technology and digital media strategically and capably
- Come to understand other perspectives and cultures
Common Core State Standards Alignment
- College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards
- Mathematical Practices
- Common Core State Standards ELA
- Common Core State Standards Mathematics